Monday 26 December 2011

Eggnog / Poached Pears with Warm Chocolate Sauce / Brussels Sprouts & Grapes



Blog Post & Recipe: Homemade Eggnog


Every season I try to find an excuse to make a version of my grandmother’s simple eggnog recipe. This weekend, we had a small gathering to let kids run amuck and I treated myself and the other parents to the following variation


Blog Post & Recipe: To poach a pear


As poached pear recipes go, this one could be called plain: just pears, water, brown sugar (or golden caster sugar, if you have it), a vanilla bean, and lemon juice. But what I like about it is that you wind up with a poached pear that tastes intensely of pear. The end.


Blog Post & Recipe: Brussels Sprouts and Grapes: A Counterintuitive Holiday Recipe


Brussels sprouts and grapes? the host repeated, incredulous.

Yes, I said. It’s sweet and savory; the grapes release their delicious sugars as they cook, which in turn caramelize the sprouts. You can eat it hot, cold, or at room temperature. You can add anything to it, within reason: toasted walnuts, pine nuts, spicy pepitas, lardons, whole garlic cloves, fresh thyme or rosemary, sea salt. Or nothing at all, which is generally how I like it.



No comments: