Saturday 8 May 2010

Care for Your Knives / Roasted Radishes / Greek Mushroom Pie with Leeks



Blog Post: How to Take Care of Your Knives


Yes, it's nice to have an impressive arsenal of knives at your disposal, but for most home cooks, there are three that are truly important: a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a serrated bread knife.


Article & Recipe: Roasted Radishes: So Who Knew?

Look under 'Related' for the link to the recipe.


I gave it a try, roasting a bunch of halved radishes in a hot oven with plenty of butter and lemon juice. One mouthful, and I immediately got the appeal. Instead of spicy, crisp and crunchy, these radishes were sweet, succulent and mellow, vaguely like turnips but with a softer bite.


Blog Post & Recipe: Manitaropita me Prassa (Homemade Greek Mushroom Pie with Leeks)


I sauteed the leeks first, together with garlic and spring onions and cooked them with balsamic vinegar until they were soft. I used two kinds of mushrooms: white portobello and white agaricus (button mushrooms). I added fresh rosemary which matches well with mushrooms and as the mushrooms released a lot of fluids, I added some flour to absorb the juices.



No comments: