Friday 12 June 2009

Broccomole. Pancetta vs. Bacon. Curry Powder.



Blog Post & Recipe: Holy Broccomole


But the one vegetable that I have not seen in dips is broccoli ... I recommend your [sic] try broccomole for something quick and different but it not a comestible to linger in your fridge too long. It is excellent on good bread or a corn thin and no doubt would benefit from a slice of tomato on top.


Article: Pancetta vs. bacon: Each brings its unique character to a recipe


Dear Lynne: Could you tell me if I can substitute bacon for pancetta in a recipe? Isn't pancetta just the Italian name for bacon?

Lindsey

Dear Lindsey: The short answer is yes.

In a pinch, you can substitute bacon for pancetta as long as you understand what that change is going to do to your dish. Both pancetta and bacon are cured pork made from the same cut -- the pork belly ... That said, they taste different ...


Blog Post: Good Question: How Do I Cook With Curry Powder?


Dear Kitchn, Do you have any suggestions on cooking with curry? I bought three different kinds of curry powered from Penzey's. I'm really into the warm spice flavors and would like to incorporate them into some easy weeknight meals.

I tried this Curried-Squash and Red-Lentil Soup recipe yesterday. I was expecting layers of flavors: rich squash, earthy beans and curry warmth. Instead, the soup just had this one flat spice note. Not very appealing. Can you give me more advice on cooking with curry?



No comments: