Saturday 19 November 2011

Kintamani Fish Soup / Creamed Turnips with Their Greens / Jibaritos



Article & Recipe: Flavours of paradise


Questioned about Indonesian food and how it is perceived, she says it is the most misrepresented cuisine of south-east Asia. ''But I believe it is the most majestic,'' she says.

Kintamani fish soup


Blog Post & Recipe: Creamed Turnips with Their Greens


I love turnips. They’re a highlight of the fall vegetable yield, but often overlooked I think. Though they look a bit like a parsnip, they have an underlying bite that sweet little parsnips lack. Maybe they’re the crotchety grandpa of the root vegetable world. The greens, like mustard or beet greens, are pretty thick. They need a decent boil, and, in this case, a nice creamy sauce.


Blog Post & Recipe: jibaritos with guava paste


Months ago I learned what a jibarito was, when I came across it on a blog. I bookmarked the recipe for this grilled cheese sandwich that uses ripe plaintain in place of bread, but I could never make it--I was missing a key ingredient. And then a few weeks ago, my aunt walked into the kitchen with it: guava paste! ... Having had it now, I can tell you that any jelly would make a decent substitute for guava paste, and jibaritos are special.



No comments: